You may have just gotten engaged. Congrats! That’s super exciting. Next on your agenda for wedding prep is understanding how you do this legally. We totally get that and are going to run through how to get married legally by celebrants in Australia, so you have all the juicy details to get you started.
So, can I get legally wed by a celebrant in Australia?
Yes, a registered celebrant can legally marry you in Australia. In fact, in Australia, celebrants are authorised to solemnise marriages according to the Marriage Act 1961. A celebrant is a person who is authorised by the Attorney-General’s Department to perform marriages in Australia. Celebrants can be religious or civil, but they must be registered with the Commonwealth Marriage Celebrants Program to legally perform weddings in Australia.
When choosing a celebrant in Australia, it is essential to ensure that they are registered with the Commonwealth Marriage Celebrants Program. This will ensure that the marriage is legally recognised in Australia. It is also important to note that celebrants may have different beliefs, styles, and personalities, so finding someone who aligns with your preferences is essential.
Of course, you can check out our amazing Australian celebrants featured here.
How Can I Legally Get Married in Australia?
Ok, so this bit takes a few steps. Let us break it down for you…
To get legally married in Australia, you must take the following into account:
- Fill out and submit a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form to a registered celebrant at least one month before the wedding day.
- Provide proof of identity, such as a birth certificate, passport, or driver’s license.
- If you have been married before, you must provide evidence of the termination of your previous marriage, such as a divorce certificate or death certificate.
- The wedding ceremony must be performed by a registered celebrant.
- The ceremony must occur in the presence of two witnesses over 18 years old.
- After the ceremony, the celebrant will provide you with a Marriage Certificate, which is legal proof of your marriage.
It is important to note that same-sex marriages are legal in Australia, and the process for getting married is the same as for heterosexual couples.
Can I Get Married in Australia on a Tourist Visa?
So, you are thinking of having a wedding whilst on holiday…how exciting! Australia has so many incredible venues to choose from so it’s a great wedding destination.
The answer to your question is, yes, absolutely! You can get married in Australia on a tourist visa. However, there are some important things to keep in mind:
- You must comply with all the legal requirements for getting married in Australia, including filling out the NOIM form and providing proof of identity.
- You must have a registered celebrant perform the ceremony.
- You must have two witnesses who are over 18 years old present at the ceremony.
If you are planning on getting married in Australia, it is recommended that you apply for a visitor visa at least six months in advance to avoid any issues with your travel plans.
Oh, and then get ready for sunshine, gorgeous scenery and maybe a Koala or two!
Find a Marriage Celebrant in Australia
There are many ways to find a marriage celebrant in Australia. One option is to use a celebrant listing website such as our site, The Celebrant Directory, which allows you to search for celebrants by location and style.
When looking for a celebrant, it is important to consider their experience, style, and personality. It is also essential to meet with the celebrant before the wedding to discuss your preferences and ensure that you feel comfortable with them.
In addition to finding a celebrant, it is also essential to find a suitable venue for your wedding. Australia has many beautiful venues, from beaches and gardens to historic buildings and vineyards. You can search for venue listings on our site or ask your celebrant for recommendations.
In conclusion, getting legally married by a celebrant in Australia is a straightforward process as long as you follow the necessary legal requirements. Whether you are a local or a tourist, many celebrants and venues are available to suit your preferences and make your special day unforgettable.
So, take the time to find a celebrant and venue that resonates with you and get ready to say”I do” in beautiful Australia!
Photography credit: Deborah Page
drop us your email and we'll send you beautiful ideas to inspire your perfect celebration